Wednesday 13 June 2007

BR: The Dark Half (Stephen King)

Amazon Link: The Dark Half
Author's website: Stephen King

I'm cheating and pre-dating blog posts to include comments for books I've read over the past few months. Starting with SK's 'The Dark Half'

I read this novel quite quickly, once I got past the slow start.

I found it hard to engage with at first. Several side-characters, with in depth narratives, featured in the first 1/4 of the book. Characters that were either killed, or were witnesses/law enforcement officers, and whom I felt didn't warrant the degree of depth they were given.

I persevered though, and am glad that I did. Once Stark's killing spree settled down, the story became much more psychological with Thad trying to figure out what this thing was and how to stop it. The interconnectedness of Thad and his 'twin' was disturbing, and by 3/4's of the way through the novel I expected Thad to either be killed or to sacrifice himself so as to ensure that Stark was ultimately destroyed.

As it turned out, Thad does suicide, but beyond the realms of this novel. 'Bag of Bones' features one line where the protag in that story muses on Thad's fate. It's a sad end, but necessary because Thad and Stark were almost one and the same, there would be no certainty that Stark couldn't be resurrected while Thad still lived.

Overall, a fantastic novel. I'm warming to SK's wordier approach to fiction writing. His style is vastly different from DK's, and though I prefer DK, I can appreciate SK as well.

No comments: