Thursday 28 June 2007

I've been book shopping!

I’m still reading Bag of Bones… it feels like I’ve been reading this book since the dawn of time! Which, I guess, clearly sums up my opinion of it. So, why am I still reading it? Because, as slow as it is going, and as much as my eyes glaze over while reading, the story is still progressing and it's interesting to gain insight into a writer's experiences. A published writer, that is. The protagonist is a novelist, well-published, and he's not unlikeable, it's just heavy on exposition. I trust that it will all have relevance later, but for now, it's tedious. I average 50 pages on the train (each way), so that’s 100 pages during my commute, and I figure if I can get another 100 pages done of an evening, then I’ll have its throat cut. Or I’ll be cutting my own throat, one or the other!

Had a seminar down the other end of the city this morning and it finished right on midday. Had to catch a tram back to work – a tram that (coincidentally) went past one of the city’s large bookstores. Irresistible attraction… so in I went. They were having a book-sale. I almost slipped in my own drool!

I bought (at bargain box prices) the following:

Gabriel’s Gift (Hanif Kureishi)
Golden Eyes (John Gideon)
Best Ghost Stories of Algernon Blackwood (Algernon Blackwood)
’48 (James Herbert)
The naked face (Sidney Sheldon)
Sarah’s Window (Janice Graham)
Carrie (Stephen King)

Yes, I know, I’m determined to read Stephen King. He’s a master, afterall, and Carrie is super thin compared to Bag of Bones. I figure I can manage it. And, I’ve seen the film, but years ago.

I also bought The Road (Cormac McCarthy) for a book reading group that I’ve joined (LitNerds). I paid full price for this book (gasp), but I joined the bookclub just as a reason to read this book. It looks amazing, dark and depressing and utterly hopeless. Just my cup of tea!

So, c'mon you ole Bag of Bones, hurry up and get finished!

No comments: