Wednesday 23 December 2009

WoTD: clinquant

Definition:
1: glittering with gold or silver; tinseled
2: tinsel; imitation gold leaf.

When I returned home summer had turned to autumn and the trees were beginning to lose their leaves. I spent much time outside, working the garden, pulling weeds, emptying bag upon bag of junk from dad's garage. The more I took away the more there seemed to be there as though a part of him refused to let go of all he had amassed -- refused to give way to my need to grieve. When I had done all I could, which was much less than I had wanted, I started the long walk back to Ron's house. The sun set before me, running beams through the trees like blades through crystal. Twinkling light, a clinquant cast on dying leaves, offered an ethereal beauty that would bewitch if I so allowed it. I wouldn't, not anymore. I had grown wise.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Bravo!!! Very nice--this is some high quality writing here, my friend! LOVE LOVE LOVE the clinquant line, the sun being blades... stunning! I smiled, I kid you not.
Very moving piece, too good to never do anything more with. Very compassionate.