Wednesday 4 July 2007

And now I'm reading...

I have started reading ‘Naomi’s Story’ by Jon Casimir. It’s loosely termed a pathography (true stories told by sufferers of illnesses or by those affected by the illness/death of a loved one). This book is Jon’s diary of anticipation leading up to, and experiences and emotions following, the birth of his first child. A little girl born with Oesophageal Atresia .

The book opens with: January 10. 9:46pm. Just impregnated your mother. Feeling good. Off to the pub to brag about it to my friends… Okay, none of this is strictly true (I have no friends), but it seems a good way to start.

And instantly I’m hooked. Jon’s natural, easy-going voice is immediately endearing. He’s a sweetie. I fear this guy is going to break my heart once the bad things start to happen, and this is a story where bad things do happen. I do not know the outcome, whether Naomi lives or dies. I hope (beyond all hope) that she lives, but I refuse to find that out until I have read this story. Reading Bryce Courtney’s ‘April Fool’s Day’ about his son’s heroic experiences with haemophilia was draining… but uplifting, I expect this to be the same. I just hope I don’t cry on the train. That could be embarrassing.

No comments: