Saturday 18 August 2007

BR: Reservation Road (John Burnham Schwartz)

Amazon Link: Reservation Road


Three characters, their lives intertwined by tragedy, seek to heal. All three are parents, two of a boy who is killed in a hit and run, the third of a boy of the same age as the victim but whose life has been filled with violence and despair. There are no heroes in this book, and the tone is dark and melancholy. I dare anyone to read without shedding a tear, or at the very least feeling a constriction in their chest as the pain these people go through.

The novel is told through three differing viewpoints, with a chapter devoted to each point of view. I found this approach to be confusing at the start, but only for the first chapter or two. The reference to another death of a family member that preceded the hit and run served to muddle the initial scenes, but all soon became clear and I settled into the (at times) morose story that was to unfold.

This is a realistic and heart-breaking narrative of grief, of the ramifications of tragedy on a family unit. It is also a journey of growth for the character that is responsible for taking the boy’s life. The only perspective on all of this that we don’t personally gain is that of the eight year old daughter, the sibling of the boy who died. Her parents never stop loving her however their ability to give her the emotional support she needs is challenged by their own grief.

I finished this story with a lump in my throat. It is raw, it is painful, it is challenging to experience the depth of suffering that these characters endure. And it’s all set around a small community where lives are intertwined, secrets are kept and putting on a brave face is exceptionally difficult.

I highly recommend this book. The writing is stunning: beautifully chosen words that cut straight to the heart. It’s not flowery, or wordy, or trying to be anything other than honest – painfully honest. And it’s breathtaking to read.

The only complaint I had was about the ending. The book finishes abruptly. It seems incomplete, as though there should be another couple of pages. I’m not saying that it isn’t complete as a story, it is… in fact I learned all I needed to know about what happens to the characters. What happens next is up to me to decide as a reader, and I really like that. But, the writing up until that point had suggested that there might be a little more of a conclusion.

Having said that, the story still rates very highly for its ordinariness, its tragedy, its emotion. It’s a gut-wrenching read, and as I said before, there are no heroes, just ordinary people in exceptionally difficult circumstances. It’s a reflection on humanity, and for that it’s a powerful novel. And the writing style itself is outstanding!

1 comment:

Emily said...

You stole my book!! *wink* Ah well, I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Sounds awesome, like it has great insight into how men cope (or don't). I think that was one of the reasons I picked it up. I'm interested to see how it ends, if I feel the same way. But take your time sending it back-- I got a whole shelf to go through and wont miss it for a while. *grin*

Great review, very balanced and thought out. Honest.

I still want to read it. *wink*